Insurance: Am I covered if I rent an RV?

Thursday, May 3, 2012
Q: Does my auto insurance cover me if I rent a large RV for my vacation?

A: Maybe. Some policies will limit coverage to certain-sized vehicles that you may borrow or rent. So talk with your agent or insurer about your plans before you borrow or rent.

This can also be an important consideration if you're moving yourself or otherwise renting a large truck, by the way. Many auto policies exclude large trucks or other vehicles. It's a good idea to check first.



Note: This is one of a series of common -- or in some cases, particularly unusual -- questions received by our consumer advocacy staff, who answer questions from consumers.
Got a question or insurance problem of your own? If you live in Washington, feel free to give us a call, toll-free at 1-800-562-6900. We'll do our best to help. (And if you live in another state or territory, here's a handy map that lists the contact info for your local insurance regulatory office.)

Updated to correct typo in the question about renting a large TV. Whoops. We meant RV.